- Kevin Kamps of Beyond Nuclear goes after the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s latest actions in speeding approval of all nuclear reactor license extensions and new builds, plus highlights the votes of compromised lame duck (now former) Commissioner Magwood’s blatant, possibly illegal conflict of interest.
FOR SAMPLE WORDING FROM KEVIN KAMPS TO SEND TO SEN. BARBARA BOXER THAT ASKS HER TO REQUIRE HARDENED ONSITE STORAGE (HOSS) FOR HIGH LEVEL RADIOACTIVE WASTE STORED AT REACTORS, SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST.
- Don Hancock, Executive Director of Southwest Information and Research Center, updates us on the findings in the radiation leak at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP site) in Carlsbad, New Mexico. Even the EPA couldn’t ignore the shocking discrepancies in recorded times, radiation data and missing documents.
NUMNUTZ OF THE WEEK:
What – the US doesn’t have enough nuclear waste of its own, it has to import it back from countries that use our technology?!?!????? Well… yes, and 23,000 liters of the junk is on its way to the Savannah River Site in South Carolina from Canada.
- TEPCO OOPS – 800+ pound console falls into Fukushima Unit 3 spent fuel pool… during an operation to remove debris from Unit 3 spent fuel pool;
- 104 Fukushima children now diagnosed with thyroid cancer;
- Harrowing testimony about the meltdowns as they happened by former Fukushima Chief, the late Masao Yoshida, released to the public in Japanese and English. (LINK to English translation of nine articles about Yoshida’s testimony: CLICK HERE)
- Millstone reactors’ May 25 dual emergency shutdowns DID release radiation to Waterford, CT, area despite operator Dominion’s claims to the contrary;
- and German activists chain themselves to railroad tracks to stop uranium ore shipment. Rock ‘n roll!
Comparison of Chernobyl and Fukushima radiation impact on animals and plants, published by the Chernobyl Research Initiative: CLICK HERE
WORDING TO USE WITH SEN. BARBARA BOXER, ASKING HER TO REQUIRE HARDENED ONSITE STORAGE (HOSS) FOR HIGH LEVEL RADIOACTIVE WASTE STORED AT REACTORS – FROM KEVIN KAMPS:
Action Alert: Prevent Radioactive Waste Pool Fires! Stop Mobile Chernboyls! Support Hardened On-Site Storage!
U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) chairs the Environment and Public Works (EPW) Committee, with oversight on the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and nuclear power industry.
Please email her via the EPW Committee office web form. Urge Sen. Boxer to require Hardened On-Site Storage (HOSS) for high-level radioactive wastes (HLRWs) stored at reactors. HOSS is endorsed by hundreds of environmental groups representing all 50 states. HLRWs are currently stored in indoor pools, and outdoor dry casks, vulnerable to accidents, attacks, natural disasters, leaks, and catastrophic fires.
If you are a California resident, you can also fill out the web form for Sen. Boxer’s constituent office.
Ironically enough, CA’s other U.S. Senator, Dianne Feinstein, would make these risks worse. Sen. Feinstein chairs the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Subcommittee. In Section 308 of the Fiscal Year 2015 Senate Energy & Water Appropriations Bill, Sen. Feinstein has proposed providing $89 million of taxpayer money towards rushing irradiated nuclear fuel onto the roads, rails, and waterways, bound for “centralized” or “consolidated interim storage” sites. These are more aptly described as de facto permanent parking lot dumps. They are targeted at Native American reservations, already contaminated Department of Energy sites, as well as nuclear power plants. HLRW trucks, trains, and barges risk Mobile Chernobyls, floating Fukushimas, and dirty bombs on wheels, and would bring us no closer to a permanent solution. Email Sen. Feinstein via her constituent web form, and urge her to support HOSS instead.
You can also phone both Senators’ Washington, D.C. Member offices via the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121. If you would rather phone or write Sen. Boxer’s in-state office nearest you, see her listings. Sen. Feinstein also lists her local offices, as well.