NH #584: Nuclear Russian Roulette in Ukraine Heats Up: Gundersen + Youth Climate Activists March in Wales against Nukes
This Week’s Featured Interviews:
- Arnie Gundersen of Fairewinds Energy Education joins us again to explain the latest rounds of nuclear Russian roulette – what dangers got ramped up at Zaporizhzhia in Ukraine over the past week. Last week, for Episode #583, he predicted much of what could go wrong at the six-reactor site… and then it did. Here, he explains both the science and the human factors of what’s being risked by the Russians who hold the facility.
Arnie is a licensed nuclear reactor operator with more than 50-years of nuclear power engineering experience. Now, as Chief Engineer for Fairewinds Associates, he testifies on behalf of states, municipalities, NGOs, and environmental organizations regarding the hazards and violations at nuclear reactors and atomic waste sites. We spoke on Monday, August 29, 2022.
- Dr. Bethan Sian Jones is National Secretary and Sam Bannon is Campaign Coordinator for The Committee for Nuclear Disarmament – Wales, or CND CYMRU. They are part of the team that has put together a seven-day march between two decommissioned nuclear reactors that Wales wants to use as sites for new small modular nuclear reactors. They are joining with other youth climate change action groups across the country September 4-10 under the slogan, “Climate justice cannot be achieved by nuclear energy.” We spoke on Sunday, August 27, 2022.
Numnutz of the Week (for Outstanding Nuclear Boneheadedness):
Russian state television propagandist Vladimir Solovyov proudly tells Ukraine and America that if Zaporizhzhia’s nuclear reactors blow up, “We have the protective suits!” Lead-lined Kevlar?
- Ontario’s energy strategy opposite of what we need – by Angela Bischoff, Ontario Clean Air Alliance
- A Ukrainian climate expert on the Zaporizhzhia situation and the winter energy outlook
- Keeping Diablo Canyon Lit Is Expensive and Unsafe
- Surfrider Tests Beach Water Radiation Levels at San Onofre
- More data needed before ocean release of Fukushima water
- The world stands on a nucl/ear precipice – we must avoid catastrophe by Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister of New Zealand