Dr. Alex Rosen, a German pediatrician and Vice President of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW) in Germany, cites his organization’s recently published Critical Analysis of the UNSCEAR (United Nations Scientific Committee On The Effects Of Atomic Radiation) report on Fukushima that seriously – some might say criminally — minimizes the health dangers of that nuclear disaster. Dr. Rosen decodes the UNSCEAR report’s methodology, shows where it cherry-picked its data and, in effect, demolishes its credibility.
- International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War: www.ippnw.org
English version of IPPNW’s Critical Analysis of UNSCEAR report : http://ippnw-students.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/UNSCEAR-Critique.pdf
- IPPNW – Germany: www.ippnw.de
IPPNW Germany’s Fukushima Website: www.fukushima-disaster.de
- WHO (世界保健機関)の「2011年東日本大地震津波後の原発事故がもたらす被曝線量の仮算定」フクシマ大災害リポート：アレックスローゼン博士による分析の日本語版はこちらをクリックして下さい。- Japanese version of Critical Analysis of UNSCEAR report: http://fukushimavoice2.blogspot.com/2014/06/psrippnw-unscear.html
NUMNUTZ OF THE WEEK:
Fukushima city government launches a new public information program to educate its kids about radiation. It includes such contraindicated gems as:
- It is important to walk or play outside.
- Open the window to keep good ventilation (nothing about the need for air filtration).
- Dry clothes in sunshine (no word about radionuclides in the air or dust)
- Air your futon outside when it’s sunny!
For a more realistic look at what it means to attempt life in Fukushima Daiichi’s radiation-saturated environment, here’s a picture of Fukushima nuclear refugee Setsuko Kida (from Nuclear Hotseat #134 – http://ow.ly/sP00P) facing the need to do her dishes with bottled water:
NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSION DUCK AND COVER REPORT:
- Oconee Nuclear Station in Florida forced to shut down from undetected crack that leaked; NRC forces regulator Duke Energy to attend a conference;
- Proposed shutdown of Indian Point reactors near Manhattan so heated water discharge doesn’t kill billions of fish, fish eggs and larvae; Entergy asks NRC to extend licenses another 20 years each, though Unit 2’s license expired in 2013 – and it’s still operating!
- Florida Power and Light’s Turkey Point nuclear power reactors in Miami-Dade County are trying to cool the reactor with canal water that’s 99 degrees – only one degree short of the NRC’s safety limit for cooling water. FPL’s solution? Asking the NRC to raise the 100-degree operating limit to 104 degrees so the reactors can stay on line. OY!