Fukushima Collective Evacuation Lawsuit attorney Toshio Yanagihara (left), and voluntary evacuee Katsumi Hasegawa (right), met with Noam Chomsky and a Fukushima mother and child in Tokyo recently.
- Don Hancock of Southwest Research and Information Center provides the latest information on the radiation leak at the Waste Isolation Project Plant (WIPP) in Carlsbad, New Mexico;
- Gene Stone, founder of Residents Organized for a Safe Environment, lets us know what the post-reactor decommissioning and clean-up process looks like, based on his recent appearance as the only anti-nuclear voice on Southern California Edison’s commmunity panel on decommissioning. Gene provides lots of wise suggestions for local activists in the US;
- Voices of Japan, the feature that allows people in Japan impacted by Fukushima to directly tell the world the truth of their experience. This week: Katsumi Hasegawa provides a father’s perspective on voluntary evacuation from Fukushima for his family, including two small children; and Toshio Yanagihara, the attorney who filed the Collective Evacuation Lawsuit on behalf of the children of Fukushima shares his frustrations and fears. Powerful stuff. (Links in progress)
LINKS FOR VOICES FROM JAPAN:
The link to participate in the “Matsumoto Project” boarding school plan for Fukushima kids http://www.kodomoryugaku-matsumoto.net/?page_id=614
A subtitled video of Toshio Yanagihara in 2012 speaking at the U.N. and other links will be up on our website, nuclearhotseat.com/blog under Episode #145. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iseUGiGAXh4
Our Planet TV video of Yanagihara, Hasegawa, Chomsky meeting in Tokyo (Japanese only, except Chomsky’s part) http://www.ourplanet-tv.org/?q=node/1739
Democracy Now coverage of Chomsky meeting in Tokyo http://www.democracynow.org/2014/3/11/chomsky_from_hiroshima_to_fukushima_vietnam
Collective Evacuation Trial blog (not presently active in English, but includes many archived translated posts and videos) http://fukushima-evacuation-e.blogspot.com/
NUMNUTZ OF THE WEEK:
- Fukushima Prefecture’s Fishermen’s Union approves TEPCO scheme to fool people into thinking they’re really doing something about the radioactive water pouring into the Pacific… because of an image problem?!?!???
- …and Mimi German with RadCast – The Radiation Weather Report