New Mexico nuclear waste dump? A mock radioactive waste canister representing the 100,000 metric tons of spent nuclear fuel rods Holtec wants New Mexico to store until a permanent high level radioactive waste facility is built. (Don Hancock photo)
This Week’s Featured Interview:
- New Mexico nuclear waste dump, its illegality, dangers and opposition from the local community as well as national groups is explored with Kevin Kamps, Nuclear Waste Specialist for Beyond Nuclear. Kevin was in Albuquerque for last week’s Nuclear Regulatory Commission hearings to decide what, if any, objections can even be allowed to be considered in siting the Consolidated (so-called) “Interim” Waste Facility– aka high level radioactive waste dump. Kevin has also been working overtime for months in the preparation for these hearings. We spoke on January 25, the day after the NRC hearings ended.
- Scott Portzline of Three Mile Island Alert has compiled a series of “Bizarre Facts about Three Mile Island.” In honor of the upcoming 40th anniversary of Three Mile Island on March 28 of this year, we’re running the Top 10 Bizarre Facts. The first five are presented in this week’s show.
Numnutz of the Week (for Outstanding Nuclear Boneheadedness):
This is known: Exposure to radiation causes cancer. Breathing radon gas can lodge radioactive particles in the air passages or lungs. Even the Environmental Protection Agency warns against breathing in radon. So Why TF are people sitting in abandoned uranium mines to breathe radon-tainted air as a “health treatment?” Some things are just more numnutz than others!
Activist Action Info Links:
- Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists – Doomsday Clock Set at 2 Minutes to Midnight – “Welcome to the New Abnormal.”
- Climate Protection through Nuclear Power Plants? Hardly! by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
- New Zealand: Kiwis fear cancer after working near leaky US nuclear reactor in Antarctica