Increased Child Leukemia Rates
Near Nuclear Reactors: Dr. Ian Fairlie
This Week’s Featured Interview:
- Child leukemia rates near nuclear reactors have been shown to increase in 2014 report by Dr. Ian Fairlie. He is an independent consultant on radioactivity in the environment living in London UK and has studied radiation and radioactivity at least since the Chernobyl accident in 1986. He has a degree in radiation biology from Bart’s Hospital in London and his doctoral studies at Imperial College in London and (briefly) Princeton University in the US concerned the radiological hazards of nuclear fuel reprocessing. Fairlie formerly worked as a civil servant on the regulation of radiation risks from nuclear power stations. From 2000 to 2004, he was head of the Secretariat of the UK Government’s CERRIE Committee on internal radiation risks. Since retiring from Government service, he has been a consultant on radiation matters to the European Parliament, local and regional governments, environmental NGOs, and private individuals. His areas of interest are the radiation doses and risks arising from the radioactive releases at nuclear facilities. In 2014, Dr. Fairlie published a scientific paper that compiled the results of 60 studies on child leukemia rates near nuclear reactors and blew the lid off the nuclear industry’s claim that living near a reactor is perfectly safe. He also exposes how the industry intentionally kept that information from the public until it was forced to reveal the data in 2012.
- LINK to Dr. Fairlie’s article, “Childhood Leukemia Near Nuclear Power Stations”
- LINK to U.S. statistics on Thyroid Cancer Rates near NYC-area nuclear reactors from Joseph Mangano of Radiation and Public Health Project. Other articles available on that site as well.
Nuclear Hotseat Hot Story with Linda Pentz Gunter:
International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons
Numnutz of the Week (for Outstanding Nuclear Boneheadedness):
Pssst! Wanna fool a country’s vulnerable populations into approving a nuclear waste dump in their backyard? Has Australia ever got a public relations firm for you!
- Nine Stupid Nations – on the countries that own and operate the money pit that is nuclear weapons.
- Medicine and Nuclear Power– fact sheet written by Dr. Gordon for the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility.
- Another Close Call – Missile strike near Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant in Ukraine raises questions about use of nuclear energy at all.