Nuclear bailout battle in Ohio over a referendum to reverse HB 6, which gives billions of dollars to First Energy and its aging nuclear reactors – Davis Besse and Perry – has at its core the lie that nuclear is going to somehow reverse the climate crisis. It won’t.
This Week’s Featured Interviews:
- Harvey Wasserman is a journalist, author, democracy activist, and advocate for renewable energy. He has been a strategist and organizer in the anti-nuclear movement in the United States for more than 30 years. His books include History of the United States (1972), The Energy War: Reports From the Front (1979), and Killing our Own: the Disaster of America’s Experience with Atomic Radiation. Media-wise, he has been a featured speaker on Today, Nightline, National Public Radio, CNN Lou Dobbs Tonight and other major media outlets. We spoke on Monday, December 2, 2019.
- Pat Marida became an anti-nuclear activist in 1981, after her son gave her a copy of Cosmos by Carl Sagan. When she read the last chapter, which talked about nuclear weapons and nuclear war, she realized how a nuclear war could end most of live on Earth. Since then, Pat worked all through the 1980s with the Ohio Nuclear Weapons Freeze Campaign. From the 1990s to the present time she has volunteered with the Sierra Club, where she is currently a member of the Ohio Sierra Club’s Executive Committee and chairs their Nuclear Free Committee. She is a member of the Core Team of the national Sierra Club’s Nuclear Free Campaign. Pat is also part of an international group of Americans and Canadians raising issues of nuclear threats to the Great Lakes. We spoke on Sunday, December 1, 2019.
Numnutz of the Week (for Outstanding Nuclear Boneheadedness):
Radioactive baby food?!?!?????
Action and Info Links:
- Pope Francis: Not Using or Possessing Nuclear Arms will be Added to the Catholic Catechism
- Germany is closing all its nuclear power plants. Now it must find a place to bury the deadly waste for 1 million years
- New report decries unsolved and “incalculable” risks of radioactive waste
- Exposing the Misinformation of Michael Shellenberger