Nuclear weapons impact on Hiroshima’s ability to have a medical response after the bomb.
This Week’s Featured Interview:
- Nuclear Weapons – With Trump abruptly announcing that the US is going to withdraw from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, or INF, it seemed important that we find out exactly what that would mean, not only to the U.S. but the world. To that end, we called up Dr. Robert Dodge, who is President, Physicians for Social Responsibility, Los Angeles (PSR-LA), Board Member with National PSR and Co-chair, PSR Committee to Abolish Nuclear Weapons.
Supporting links mentioned on the show:
- NUKEMAP: What would be the impact of a nuclear bomb in your community? Check it out at Nukemap: www.nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap.
- BACK FROM THE BRINK: That’s where you can sign your support to abolish nuclear weapons as an individual, organization, school, religious group, and especially your town, city, county, or state. Learn more at PreventNuclearWar.org.
- DON’T BANK ON THE BOMB: An international campaign to stop investing in nuclear weapons production by removing your personal funds from any company that is part of the nuclear production chain. It doesn’t matter how much money you do or don’t have – DBOTB it gives you the information, talking points, and verified, footnoted proof of what you’re saying so you can engage with your banker, financial advisor, pension fund manager – and your neighbors. Dontbankonthebomb.com
- PHYSICIANS FOR SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: It’s not just for physicians or medical personnel; anyone can join. Check out the national and local chapters at: PSR.org
This beautiful short film is based on the Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech by Setsuko Thurlow of ICAN (The International Campaign for the Abolition of Nuclear Weapons). Thurlow is a hibakusha, a survivor of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, and a tireless campaigner whose work helped lead to the successful passage of the United National Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.
Numnutz of the Week (for Outstanding Nuclear Boneheadedness):
Not only is the Trump administration planning to pull out of a nuclear treaty and threatening to build lots more nuclear bombs, they’re announcing the expansion of nuclear technology and fuel production for “small modular reactors” – but it’s a soft, semi-secret rollout because the first interview on the topic took place in… Japan!
Activist Info Links:
- Pence on Nukes in Space? Listen to Global Network’s Bruce Gagnon from Nuclear Hotseat #377 explain what they’re really talking about: #SpaceForce, proposed new military branch, has roots in #OperationPaperclip #Nazi scientists brought to USA after WWII. Bruce Gagnon of Global Network Against Weapons and #Nuclear Power in Space reveals its dark heart. Libbe HaLevy interviews for #NuclearHotseat 377. http://nuclearhotseat.com/2018/09/12/space-force-nazi-roots-bruce-gagnon-space4peace-nh-377/
- UN Rights Expert Urges Japan toHalt Returns to Fukushima
- Students of Marco Kaltofen of the Worcester Polytechnic Institute have performed a comprehensive analysis of radioactive soils and dusts at Olympic venues in Tokyo and Fukushima. LINK to the study HERE.