SPECIAL: Full coverage of last week’s trial of the Four Grandmothers, Cape Cod Downwinders who were arrested for trespass for their Mother’s Day, 2014 protest at the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Hear from Downwinders co-founder Diane Turco; first-time-ever activist Mary Conathan (71); and attorney Bruce Taub. Talk about speaking Truth to Power!
What could be scarier than nuclear? Activists from both coasts share their most frightening thoughts about the industry that brought us Fukushima, Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and a whole lot more!
NUMNUTZ OF THE WEEK:
The United States and Russia finally find something to agree upon and work together towards… more nuclear insanity.
- Nuclear emergency at Honeywell’s Illinois Uranium Processing Plant leaks uranium hexafluoride into environment.
- Volcano experts warn that Mount Ioyama has started experiencing tremors… only 40 miles (65 km) from the Sendai nuclear power facility – and of course Japan wants to start restarting its nukes with Sendai.
- Fukushima radiation rises to 800-900 times the previous peak, with no end in sight.
- Major turbine troubles at Kudankulam keeps the brand-spanking-new nuke facility offline since September.
- The World’s Toughest Bacterium is the most radiation-resistant organism known:http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/articles/07_02/deinococcus.shtml
- Bacteria a Potential Threat to Nuclear Waste Repositories:http://actu.epfl.ch/news/bacteria-a-potential-threat-to-nuclear-waste-repos/
- Thousands of Sick uclear Workers Await Compensation at Hanford (can you say, “when hell freezes over…?”):http://www.dianuke.org/thousands-of-sick-nuclear-workers-await-compensation-at-hanford/