BREAKING NEWS: Sister Megan Rice sentenced to 2 years, 11 months for peaceful protest at the Y-12 nuclear weapons site at Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Co-defendants get 5 yrs. 2 months each. Details on next week’s Nuclear Hotseat #140.
- Don Hancock of the Southwest Research and Information Center on the fire and radiation release at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant in Carlsbad, NM – two separate incidents within 10 days that point to a company culture that fails to take proper precautions. CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indian filmmaker Pradeep Indulkar, director of “High Power,” winner of the 2013 Uranium Film Festival Yellow Oscar for Best Short Documentary. To book the film or purchase a DVD, CONTACT: email@example.com.
NUMNUTZ OF THE WEEK:
Close this week, but we revisit the Fukushima Kids’ Cancer Seminar to learn how their slogan, “Especially because this is Fukushima, we need the best cancer education in Japan!” Learn what happens when the event’s organizer gets asked how that creepy slogan got picked and why children of Fukushima need “cancer education.”
- “Experts” miss possible Hanford implications in Washington state rare birth defect cluster;
- Massive cracks found at Fukushima near radioactive water storage tanks;
- Fukushima dental assn. to study radiation in baby teeth (shades of Operation Tooth Fairy);
- UK nuclear sites at risk of flooding;
- The Irish will soon be able to sue the UK for Sellafield radiation damages;
- The NRC DUCK! and Cover Report;
- Radcast w/Mimi German;
- …and more!
- Interview w/Tokyo-based physician Shigeru Mita on the need to evacuate from Tokyo, an interview by Nelson Groom for Vice.com: http://nsgroom.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/vice-a-japanese-physician-is-encouraging-the-evacuation-of-tok
- Petition to support journalist Mari Takenouchi and support her effotts to protect children living in areas contaminated with radioactivity: http://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/we-stand-with-mari-takenouchi-save-kids-japan-as-she-stands-for-fukushima-children-s-health