Interview: Mary Olson, Director of Southeast Office of NIRS.org, on what the June 8 DC court ruling means to the battle against nuclear waste production (meaning reactors and their radioactive legacy). This woman is a clear, concise powerhouse!
- 82-year-old “terrorist” nun breaks into Oak Ridge nuclear facility armed w/a Bible, candles and spray paint. Her biggest crime? Embarrassing the National Nuclear Security Administration over their ridiculous lack of security for 100 tons of highly enriched uranium (Jellyfish*, meet Numnutz**);
- On a scale of 1-7 for nuclear disasters, Fukushima now ranks at an 8 (The level was invented just for them!);
- Iodine 131 showing up in Japan again – indicative of fresh radiation release;
- Mutated butterflies in Japan auger what’s coming up for humans;
- Suspicion of cracks in Belgian reactor;
- Republican VP nominee’s wife lobbied for Vermont Yankee <!>;
- New NRC Chair Macfarlane wonders how quake-proof all those nuclear reactors really are;
- NASA’s recommended foods to protect against radiation;
- And a challenge to reporters from one of their own.
*Jellyfish – Nuclear heroes. Named after the jellyfish and their cousins, the salp, who have swarmed the intake channels of nuclear reactors around the world and forced them to shut down. If a spineless jellyfish can shut down a nuclear reactor, why can’t the rest of us?
** Nuclear Numnutz – Just what it sounds like. The inmates who are in charge of the asylum and aiming to kill us all.
- Learn the quake-risk rating of the nuclear reactor nearest you: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/42103936/ns/world_news-asia_pacific/t/what-are-odds-us-nuke-plants-ranked-quake-risk/#.UCp__0S5Ozs
- Full story on Indian Point challenge by Clearwater: http://www.clearwater.org/as-nrc-acknowledges-spent-fuel-dangers-defers-relicensing-decisions-clearwater-files-contention-on-unsafe-on-site-storage-of-indian-point-spent-fuel/